I wont attempt to regurgitate its content (hopefully Gordon will run something similar for us in the near future) but here are some of my take-aways from the session:
- You cannot improve unless you measure. (As Peter Drucker observed).
- The source of raw data needs to be reliable, repeatable and trustworthy.
- Repeatability can be as useful as absolute accuracy, particularly where you are looking for trends.
- The granularity (really appropriate description for the industry!) of the data become important when you are looking for small incremental gains.
- Big Data cause big data management issues!
- Disparate sources of data need to be consolidated.
- Ideally, the data need to be (automatically!) processed into actionable insights about the operation, to unlock its real value.
- Real-time reporting, allows for timely intervention.
Looking forward to the next chapter Gordon!